18 September 2013

My Nokia Blog

My Nokia Blog


Bargain: Unlocked SIM Free Nokia Lumia 920 at £220 from Tesco, Black, Red, Yellow, White!

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 03:32 PM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 23.24.55

Whilst neatly comparing the prices at other retailers who are pushing for 485/505GBP respectively for the Nokia Lumia 920 unlocked, Tesco have it at an unbelievable £220!

http://www.tesco.com/direct/sim-free-unlocked-nokia-lumia-920-black/412-0100.prd

By comparison, an unlocked 820 is £316! The red one is cheaper at £269. The 620 unlocked from ‘cleverboxes’ is £219.

The 920 is set to get GDR2 and will be upgraded to GDR3 and eventually 8.1/Blue. There’s a lot of life left software wise and the hardware is definitely a lot more future proof than earlier lumias (OIS camera, winning several camera shootouts, super sensitive screen, wireless charging, bright sunlight readability, 720p display, stereo 1080p rich recording audio in procam).

Amazing bargain! Great Christmas present too.

Cheers Andrew for the tip/

Microsoft confirms Nokia Brand strength synonymous with phones, but erases Nokia from Lumia print ad about Nokia Acquisition.

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 03:24 PM PDT

 

Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 23.17.02

As much as you would expect from the no common sense Microsoft, they have a post over at NokConv whereby Terry Myerson accepts the strength of the Nokia brand is something synonymous with phones. Yes, the article does focus more on mobile phones as a stepping stone to the rest of the MS family and less so much about Nokia on smartphones. That’s still a very uncertain topic.

 

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/09/16/welcoming-nokias-mobile-phones-customers-to-the-microsoft-family/

It’s not the first time the Nokia logo has been hidden from an ad that I can recall but it’s more annoying right now given the current situation.

IBtimes noted the image below, though thinks it’s a 520.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/506709/20130917/microsoft-removes-nokia-name-lumia-520-buyout.htm

409192

Yes. Nokia by any other name as long as it has the principles and people behind Nokia is still a Nokia.

Still, I’d rather see that Nokia name on our smartphones too, no? What’s the point of putting it on just mobile phones? Why not rename Skype too eh?

Cheers Alvester and zxv for the tip!

Hello :)

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 10:16 AM PDT

Hello

Hey MNB readers, I’m Sam and I’m one of the new writers for mynokiablog.com. I thought I’d get a quick introduction in before I jump straight into the world of Nokia news.

Now may seem a bit of an odd time to start writing about Nokia after the recent acquisition announcement by Microsoft, however I believe there will still be a lot to write about and comment on. You can’t just get rid of one of the most influential companies ever in the blink of an eye, especially with the massive loyal following that Nokia and this site have enjoyed for quite some time. I’ve been an avid reader of the site and I’m a self-confessed Nokia addict as I’m sure some of you are as well.

Just a few random facts about myself:

  • My first Nokia phone was the invincible 3210, quickly followed by the 8210 and 3310, which started a love affair that still carries strong to this day. I’ve had around 40 or so Nokia phones over the years and I’d have to say my favourite was probably the N91.
  • I’ve worked for both Apple and Orange in the past so I’ve got reasonable experience with a wide variety of phones.
  • I’ve got a degree in Motorsports Technology.
  • I play bass guitar in a band in Birmingham.
  • I’m quite a fan of the Xbox, which ties in nicely with Windows Phone.

I’m really looking forward to getting involved on MNB and I hope I can make a decent contribution to what is already a fantastic site with great writers. I’m @jet247 on twitter if anyone is interested and if you’ve got any questions just drop me a line :) .

 

 

Damian Dinning on the Lumia 1020

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 07:08 AM PDT

Damian_Dinning

Over at the PureView Club, they’ve had a very special guest post, from none other than Damian Dinning. Many of you know Damian as Nokia’s Imaging guru, and rightly so. In his article, he discusses everything from their initial ambitions for the device, to how they went about finally coming to market with a fantastic product.

I really enjoyed the way Damian wrote his piece. You can tell he is really passionate about what he is saying. I won’t do Damian (or Marc) an injustice by copying over what he says, and I suggest you take a few minutes and head on over to give it a read.

http://pureviewclub.com/2013/17346

I will just include these two paragraphs

Personally, when looking at my images captured with both, I was in most cases drawn more to the images from the 1020 as opposed to those captured with the 808, even though I know they may not be exactly as the original scene or subject appeared.

 

There are a couple of areas which warrant attention though. Without doubt, the first of these is focus during video, not being able to use touch focus during video shooting can be a significant restriction in what and how you can record the action. I can imagine Nokia are already aware of this and working to hopefully bring it in a future update. I also have to admit a little disappointment the 808's slide zoom (with pre-framing) didn't make it.

What I like is that Damian gives his own opinion on which is “better” but also critiques the Lumia 1020. It shows he doesn’t just say what he should say, but what he feels is correct in his opinion.

Nokia Tease Upcoming Event – Oct 22nd #InnovationReinvented

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 06:43 AM PDT

BUXiwCbCMAEyM8f

 

We’ve heard recently that Nokia would be pushing back their annual September event to October, where the rumoured Lumia 1520 would be announced. It seems that Nokia has decided to tease us a little, telling us to Save The Date for October 22nd.

 

The image they tweeted along is clearly a desert of some sort, we’re thinking this could indicate the location, possibly the middle east. (Just speculation here).

Whatever it is, be assured we will be covering it for you right here!

Next up: Windows Phone overtakes iOS and Blackberry in India. 2nd largest smartphone OS after Android

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 05:37 AM PDT

Lumia520_Lumia820

IDC via BGR reports that WP has overtaken iOS and Blackberry in India to become the second largest smartphone OS.

The Nokia Lumia 520 is said to have been a key driver of this growth. Getting to second place was apparently a goal set at the WP group by MS India and they’ve done just done.

It’s still behind Android of course. That will take a lot of effort but they’re making steady progress. They have to keep Apple at bay, especially now that they’re also targeting a ‘cheaper’ more colourful sector (though $100 vs $550 is still quite a difference :/)

Source: bgr.in/

via WMPU

Cheers Dan for the tip!

NokConv: A COLOURFUL History of Nokia

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 05:28 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 13.22.52

Quick heads up on this post at NokConv that looks at the colourful nature and history of Nokia, dating back 20 years.

Colour is nothing new but in a world where phones followed the one that was just black and white, it’s nice to see Nokia pushing everyone back to taste the rainbow.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/09/17/a-colourful-history-of-nokia-phones/

HOT dang! Still such a sexy phone to this day!

Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 13.25.18

 

Oh the mother of all phones.

The “fascias” or covers weren’t simply about changing colour. Some allowed you to change design. I remember my 3310 had a pseudo 7210 cover. I had the lights modded at greenhills, as well as a piece of acetate at the back to make it look like a colour screen. Oh my.

Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 13.26.13

Cheers Alvester for the tip!

Spotted: Windows Phone in Grand Theft Auto V?

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 05:22 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 13.12.34

How cool is this? The much awaited Grand Theft Auto V featuring a WP as the cell phone device at around the 00:50 mark.

My connection is too slow to play a video. :(

Source: Kotaku

Via: WPC

Thanks Alvester for the tip!

No comments:

Post a Comment