05 August 2012

My Nokia Blog

My Nokia Blog


Nokia 808 PureView Review by DSLR fan

Posted: 04 Aug 2012 04:20 PM PDT

Here’s another Nokia 808 Review from a more camera centric (DSLR) based site. They do take more of a mobile angle in comparing it with the iPhone 4s.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8674/nokia-pureview-808-review-and-vs-iphone-4s

No surprises what’s going to happen here. ‘Eating iPhone for breakfast’ is probably enough. What is interesting are the comparisons with the Canon 5D Mk3. Unfortunately I’m on a tethered connection which is compressing all the images I see so I can’t appreciate the all the differences. But even so, it’s impressive to hear yet again Nokia’s accomplishments in camera.

Conclusion:

Overall the sensor and lens technology on the 808 is a genuinely groundbreaking achievement for a smartphone. Given enough light, a good subject and a close focus shot – the 808 is capable of pure gold. Although it has a narrower sweet spot than large sensor compacts like the Sony RX100 and far worse image quality in low light, it leaves other smartphones and compacts in the dust when performing at its best.

Thanks Madratz for the tip and reminders!


My Dream Nokia #57: Nokia Lumia 810 WP8 Concept

Posted: 04 Aug 2012 04:00 PM PDT

This was sent to us 10 days ago but unfortunately (as is often the case now :/) I missed the email at the time. Thankfully, we got sent a reminder.

Anyway, this was sent to us by Amanuel Elias who wrote to us saying:

My name is Amanuel Elias, I am MNB reader and Nokia fun. I have my dream Nokia the Nokia lumia 810. It isn’t designed from the scratch the front design is more of from Nokia N9. To mention few specs, runs WP8, Dual core proccesor, 1GB RAM,2MP front camera, 4” HD AMOLED 1280×720 resolution display, 12MP rear camera with Xenon+LED flash, 32GB/64GB onboard, NFC, HDMI, dual streo speakers at the bottom. LED flash could be used as a torch, for video recording and with viewfinder in dark conditions.
Jay if you like it post it to MDN! Thanks.

The specs are pretty much standard now but the design is quite nice. It’s actually the glass part of the N9/800. The coloured bits on the side that you see are where the screen curves to the edges and reflects light. Here it’s part of the casing and sort of works, no? What I like most is the minimal space wasting.

The back of the device is a little strange, but inclusion of Xenon always makes me happy :) .

MNBLumia 810 back MNBLumia 810(1) MNBLumia 810(2) MNBLumia 810(3) MNBLumia 810(4) MNBLumia 810(5)


Review: One Month On With the 808

Posted: 04 Aug 2012 03:39 PM PDT

So it’s been about a month or so since I first got the Pureview monster, the 808; here are some random thoughts on the phone: (Before we start honestly I wasn’t very fair I had first tried the 808 back at MWC so I knew what I was getting into, I never used the phone as my daily driver since I knew what it had to offer SW wise, and that wasn’t enough for me to go back to Symbian after the smoothness of WP).

First off the camera is ridiculous, there’s nothing more I can say, I suck at photography, my friends are ugly, yet our pictures come out stunning (I’ll leave the proper camera review for those more capable of it) but here’s a couple test image:

Bedside Change bucket (us bloggers are people folks):

Full res flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23218958@N05/7583770832/sizes/k/in/photostream/

Sunset in Amman (not bad if I dare say so)

Full res flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23218958@N05/7584088750/sizes/k/in/photostream/

Reese’s Cup stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies, YUM!

Full res Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23218958@N05/7638308672/sizes/k/in/photostream/

Well what about the phone? The software on the phone itself as I’m sure most of you know is Nokia Belle FP1 the same running on all Symbian 3 phones minus the first gen of S^3 devices (that have less than 1ghz of ram); the latest updates bring some UI streamlining, A slightly improved keyboard (which still sucks), a New gallery/camera ui (only for the 808). However even after 3 major SW upgrades the phone is not without it’s bugs/set-backs, some of the exclusive to the 808: (the list is based on MY USAGE of the phone (which happened to be in offline mode), not everyone uses their phones similarly, I for one don’t use the browser much so I couldn’t care less how crappy it is)

  • The gallery has no Portrait support when accessing it from the camera (not really a bug, more like a missing feature, but one that’s annoying)
  • WiFi is spotty and tends to have issues
  • The constant nagging of Symbian asking for confirmation every step of the way (although reduced) still pushes my buttons.
  • Lack of photo sharing options, Nokia social (which is an abomination and should have been drowned upon birth) only works with a SIM card in the phone, and even then doesn’t always work, However the 808 does support “share to Flickr and FB” however for some reason every-time I’m directed to the browser to login to FB I end up in a constant loop with no solution (possibly due to my FB security measures?), the upload to Flickr does work nicely though (also there’s a newly updated Symbian app called FlickrUp that gets the job done). It may seem as I’m nitpicking on this point, but after using WP for close to a year any other photo sharing to social networks seems pathetic, and as I said, this is MY usage of the phone.
  • The Keyboard: I’m pretty sure Nokia packed up shop here and moved out, it would seem they gave up on making a decent keyboard as now the keys aren’t even aligned properly, the auto-correct is a nightmare (the dictionary seems to have only 50 words); but on the plus side the haptic feedback is nice.

Is this a joke? (and before anyone mentions it I don’t like swype)

  • The menu is depressing, this might sound crazy but as someone who experienced stock S^3 on the N8 first hand the menu on Symbian only brings back painful memories, as long as I avoid opening the menu I can pretend it’s different phone, but the second I want to load an app that all goes away.
  • The chrome plating on the camera bump gets scratched SUPER easily, I keep my phone in a microfiber bag in a drawer yet somehow it’s gotten scratched (think metal plate on the back of the N9)

Enough with the bad, more with the good; first off the phone is gorgeous, say what you like but a phone that has to carry a bump that big and still look good isn’t an easy task, but Nokia pulled it off (it’s like when they say pregnant women “glow”), so what else?

  • Once again the camera, it’s………… (whatever adjective you prefer)
  • The camera UI, at least some thought went into this (actually alot did) every little detail seems planned out, even the tiny writing of “pureview” on the virtual lens (that comes up when launching the camera)
  • Speaking of launching the camera, this thing is blazing fast; but we all know that right, I mean it smoked a WP…
  • Multitasking on the 808 with FP1 is super smooth, one of the virtues of Symbian I guess
  • Battery life!!!! You guys won’t believe this but I’ve only charged the 808 once since I purchased it (over a month ago) true it was in offline mode, but that’s with the WiFi on constantly and alot of picture taking/video recording
  • Rich Recording: honestly this has got to be as an impressive feature as Pureview (if not slightly cooler) the mic pickup on this phone is crazy, I recorded a video then played it back on the phone (with Dobly studio active) through the purity headset… MINDBLOWING
  • CBD AMOLED display, true it’s stuck in nHD but that’s nothing new, what is new is the awesome viewing angles you get outdoors (plus the always on screen saver, ohhh how I miss it on WP.. hopefully in WP8)
  • Torch: yes the awesome flash doubling as a torch, this used to be exclusive to feature phones, well not anymore; keep the lock-screen button pressed down for 5 seconds to used the LED light as a blinding torch/flash-light

All in all the 808 isn’t THAT bad of a phone, hell it’s pretty good; but not if your one who’s about “the online”; some nags of Symbian haven’t been fixed till now and I don’t see the Nokia developer team (what’s left of it anyways) worrying too much about them. I don’t need to tell you how awesome the camera is and personally I think that’s more than enough of a reason to buy a phone (that’s why I bought mine!). But the issue lies in Symbian itself, it’s been forsaken by most (even CODeRUS the Symbian modder gave up on it), and honestly unlike the N9 there isn’t much you can do to make this phone that much better, as I mentioned in the begging I didn’t think Belle FP1 was enticing enough for me to go back to the small but annoying (yet apparently lovable) tweaks of Symbian,  but if your pleased with how Symbian is by all means go buy one; you will love it. I guarantee it.

 

I can’t believe I have to say this but constructive comments ONLY; criticism is welcome, I love a good discussion but if you’ve come to spread your sorrow here is NOT the place.


Lumiappaday #263: Tower Bloxx New York demoed on the Nokia Lumia 900 #XboxLive

Posted: 04 Aug 2012 01:54 PM PDT

Tower Bloxx (New York) is a classic in the mobile gaming world now I guess and yet still a lot of fun. Aim is to build towers in NY City, dropping one floor as accurately as you can.

#263) Tower Bloxx New York 

Price:  $2.99

Link: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/bbf5c3a2-e1fb-df11-9264-00237de2db9e

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71UOXwBb1PQ

Developer Blurb:

 Get ready for the sequel to the worldwide smash hit – this time the tower building craziness is in NY City! Discover up to 5 Manhattan districts through an all-new, addictive Board Game mode. Enjoy block-dropping chaos in Quick Game with multiple power-ups – plus, test your reflexes & puzzle skills with brand-new Time Attack and Challenge modes!

Rating:

Design: 9

Usability: 9

Performance: 8

Price: 7



Poll: Is Your 808 Dropping WiFi Connection Randomly?

Posted: 04 Aug 2012 11:14 AM PDT

So the 808 is a great Camera-phone; it’s also not too bad of a looker, and UI wise Belle Fp-1 has cleaned it up quite well, but there’s still the occasional issue; I noticed this one within day one of purchasing my 808 (bought it abroad so wasn’t worth going through the hassle of replacing it), the issue I’ve noticed with my 808 is that it’ll randomly drop internet connectivity over WiFi (Note: It doesn’t necessarily disconnect from the WiFi, but the internet via WiFi just dies..). At first I didn’t bother posting about this as it seemed to be an individual issue (not wide-spread); but it turns out there are a couple more like me, so what about you? Have you faced any WiFi issues on your 808?

*Note: it seems as if I get the dropped internet more when using the store & trying to upload to FB than anywhere else, browser doesn’t seem to be as affected.


GSM Arena’s Nokia Asha 305 Review

Posted: 04 Aug 2012 04:06 AM PDT

Here’s GSM Arena’s review of the cheapest Asha full touch S40, Nokia Asha 305.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_asha_305-review-792.php

They’re impressed with the speed of progress Asha has undertaken and compares it to Symbian which they say has taken Symbian a few years to achieve the same.

In terms of price and value for money, GSM Arena finds it hard to find an equivalent  in terms of price and features. At a budget, the 305 really is a performer.

Thank Vikas Patidar for the tip!


N9Apps: WordPress app, Blob available at Nokia Store

Posted: 04 Aug 2012 04:06 AM PDT

Here’s a free wordpress app for the Nokia N9 – Blob. It’s free and it’s at Nokia store.

http://store.ovi.com/content/266320

It has a link to a paid version but for some reason it warns me that it’s not available for the N9. Then again I’m browsing in Chrome.

Blob: Blogger and WordPress client.
● NOW SUPPORTS WordPress too!
● Read, edit, create and delete posts and comments in different blogs
● HTML5 enabled post viewer
● Add labels, set custom publishing date and time in posts
● Comes with one of the best and convenient rich text editor ever made
● Smooth, fast and clean UI

Meego version requires PR 1.2 or above

Full version: http://store.ovi.com/content/266320

Thanks crisscross for the tip!


Weekend lol: Nokia Lumia X – twisty camera n-gage thing?

Posted: 04 Aug 2012 04:05 AM PDT

This would be interesting if true though I am not at all convinced. We got an email from another John yesterday sharing information about a supposed new Lumia with a twisting camera section. I don’t know if the image above is simply meant to be a depiction as that’s a 5700. Twisty barrels would be nice, like the Nokia N90, pretty awesome for self pics.

A barrel design could allow for optical zoom (as the elements can span the width of the phone as opposed to the thickness of the device).

Apparently it might have gaming buttons.

Some images of the 5700 below:

 

 

Here’s the email that we got:

New Nokia Windows phone 8 to be launched in September.
I got it from my friend.
He worked at Nokia Design Studio (not mention name).
He talks about how the new equipment, both of LUMIA more interesting than Samsung, HTC and Huawei.
 
In addition, he said LUMIA X has a screen resolution HD Amoled Clear Black, Windows phone 8 OS, powered by Snapdragon S4,
8 millionpixel resolution camera carl zeiss lens, that can rotate the camera itself.
There are dedicated keys for playing games on the top & can be twisted to access music quickly.
He also tells of the N-GAGE is back again.
 
Data is designed to stay in the lab.
I was excited to try this. Not sure if it is true that much. 
If the information is incorrect. Apologize for any inconvenience that this.
Cheers John for the tip!
Ah yes, 3250 before it.


1 comment: