16 November 2012

My Nokia Blog

My Nokia Blog


Fan Test: Nokia Lumia 920 vs Nokia 808 PureView, LED vs Xenon

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 02:29 PM PST

This is far from being a scientific test but it just demonstrates the power of Xenon I guess.

The desk fan is on, spinning as it goes and we take a quick picture. The 808 shot makes it look like it’s not on at all but trust me, it is.

The 920 shot you can still see movement. I guess it is designed for longer shutter times. Whether this affects real life people movement sufficiently will be a test I might be able to try on Friday night.

The 920 shot does not overpower the screen at the back

Xenon completely kills the light from the screen as it is a very bright source of light.

I’ll be interested to find out how it fares when we have subjects in the foreground, whether we want to see the background lit up too.

 

The 808 is a bit further back as the AF would not lock when too close.

 

BTW, interesting coincidental tweet from Burland. Litchfield might have something to say on this matter.

I think Xenon is even more amazing when you can control the direction (e.g. DSLR) to bounce the light and such.

I’ll try to perform these tests over the weekend (I’ll make time, haha).

 


Video: Quick Continuous Autofocus on Nokia Lumia 920 (macro) – and portrait video?

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 02:05 PM PST

 

I’m trying not to get too distracted from uni work but I just noticed my Nokia Lumia 920 has a surprisingly quick and accurate continuous AF (at least in macro close up). It’s a lot quicker than my 900 and even my 808. This makes it super great for filming – perhaps more things I find neat about the 920. At the same time that’s a shame as I’d like to share videos about the 920 at it would be hard to show you the screen if I’m filming with it (unless I create an elaborate mirror box).

Anyway, in the video you can see how quickly it manages to get the focus right. I moved the small fine print box of the 920 and an Xbox game packaging and it wasn’t finding any difficulty. It surprised me how quickly it manages it. I do miss not being able to zoom in though like I can on the 808. I guess for other tech stuff (where I don’t need the 920 to be in the picture) I can move my tripod arm closer.

BTW, the AF is also quick when switching between macro and far away subjects. Surprisingly good job.

 

Something else I’ve learnt is that videos rotate. Oh dear. It didn’t play like that on the computer.

I’ve uploaded the same video to Vimeo which will take about 40 minutes to convert to see if it does the same thing. Way to go Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/53633125

YouTube also seems to think the file is 1080p even though it’s oddly set to 720p on the phone.

Seems the video editor on youtube can rotate it. Processing now.


Bluetooth file sharing, mp3 editor and more system colours for WP7.8?

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 12:02 PM PST

 

 

Quick heads up on a post that describes some of the features coming to WP7.8.

http://www.gsmarena.com/leaked_nokia_docs_reveal_windows_phone_78_features-news-5083.php

Source (in Chinese) | Via

As seen in Ali’s previous post (where you saw the keyboard upgraded with organized smilies and more smilies) there’s more to the WP7.8 update than the homescreen. There are other features coming too (a bit like some updates from Apple where you might have iOS6, but not have something like Siri).

  • MP3 editor for ringtones
  • More System colours
  • Bluetooth (from Nokia apparently) I was just about to complain that this was missing but it is apparently going to be there. Useful for those on the budget 510/610 who may not have constant data connections.
Note: This isn’t official from Microsoft, just tidbits from Nokia training manuals apparently.
Cheers Alvester for the tip!

 


How To: Opening the SIM-tray on your Nokia Lumia 920 (900 too)

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 11:49 AM PST

Forgive the uselessness of this post as something beyond obvious but I learnt something new today. How to open the SIM tray on the Nokia Lumia 920/900.

http://mynokiablog.com/2012/11/15/video-my-very-own-electric-pikachu-yellow-unboxing-yay-and-accessories-starter-pack

For some reason, I thought the metal key with a pin end was for hooking it out. A frustrating time where the top ends up slightly breaking and the key bent, never to be used again.

Thanks to our readers who commented kindly, all you need to do is to actually push it and it simply and effortlessly pops out! You can then pull it out completely without the need for fishing with fingernails or whatnot. This will prevent the SIM tray flying across the room as seen in my unboxing (using the key wrong as a lever).

I’m glad to know what I thought was a bad design from Nokia turns out to be quite clever once you have some common sense.

 

 


Video: My very own Electric Pikachu Yellow Unboxing! Yay! (and accessories starter pack)

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 09:20 AM PST

Hey guys! I don’t think I’ve anticipated getting a phone so much as the Nokia Lumia 920. Maaan I so chuffed :D I waited a bit for the yellow one and ooh it’s just hitting all the right happy spots and making me smile!

I had to hide my absolute joy from the sales rep when he brought the yellow one out so I could possibly squeeze in a better deal that we’d both be happy with. £36, free phone, 1tb data with tethering, free wireless charger. Sorted!  I’m with Orange, though my network says T-Mobile (technically it should now say, EE). Phones4U give an additional 1GB if you’re under 24 as well as a free wireless charger voucher from Nokia for every 920 bought.

http://mynokiablog.com/2012/11/15/yellow-nokia-lumia-920-available-from-phones4u-currently-unboxing-one-d/

I did an unboxing which was rather unorganized/ditzy. You can see sim slots flying off at one point (around 8:08). I didn’t plan on inserting the sim as I felt something like that would happen on camera. Oh well.

I just learnt how to actually use the sim tray key. Just push the pokey thing into the hole at the top of the 920 (like 900). I always thought it was some strange hook thing. Thanks Xsever

You can see the box contents below as well as the little sticker for my free wireless charger (I can’t redeem until tomorrow).

  • Nokia Lumia 920
  • Yellow in-earphones (I did not see these in previous unboxings)
  • White charger/cable
  • Manual
I also got a touch-screen starter pack from Phones4U (seen in video).

 

Here’s the video. It’s 20 minutes worth of me mumbling in excitement, getting distracted. I don’t think the 808 (or at least the screen) showed the yellow quite right. It’s more accurate in the photo.

Once signed in to the microsoft account, All my contacts were there. My twitter is also somehow already connected so I was able to tweet straight away. Picture below is rather dark as the lights behind me were exceptionally bright.

Still with the plastic on. Fresh, never been used before.

yellow nokia lumia 920 unboxing(8) yellow nokia lumia 920 unboxing(9) yellow nokia lumia 920 unboxing(10) yellow nokia lumia 920 unboxing yellow nokia lumia 920 unboxing(3) yellow nokia lumia 920 unboxing(1) yellow nokia lumia 920 unboxing(2) yellow nokia lumia 920 unboxing(5) yellow nokia lumia 920 unboxing(6) yellow nokia lumia 920 unboxing(4) 92000 - a bit dark though cos the light behind is so bright

 

 


Yellow Nokia Lumia 920 available from Phones4U!! (Currently unboxing one! :D)

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 08:03 AM PST

 

Thanks to one of our readers yesterday for the heads up getting the much anticipated Electric Pikachu Yellow Nokia Lumia 920 from Phones4U. I just happened to pass one of the stores this afternoon and boom!

I am sooo excited so I’ll leave this and do the unboxing!

Hehe, can you see the cheeky little box peaking through the bag? :D :D:D:D:D


Star Wars Episode VII: Phone Wars

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 11:30 PM PST

Here’s a funny video called “Phone Wars” where a battle occurs between the Apple and Android camps.

Unforgotten always though is the Finnish Nokia, in the ever popular internet meme, the indestructible Nokia 3310 3410 (cheers!).

This toughness is sure carrying on in their newest ‘flagship’, the Nokia Lumia 920, which does pack enough features to go toe to toe against the competitors in the video on its own merit.

by 

Cheers Reonhato for the tip!


Cyan Nokia Lumia 920 heading to Europe?

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 11:08 PM PST

AT&T’s exclusive cyan Nokia Lumia 920 maybe coming to Europe (on Vodafone).

Or it might just be a retailer mistake.

http://www.handyschotte.com/handy/nokia/lumia-920-cyan-blau-vodafone.htm

 

I hope it makes its way to O2/Voda too here in UK and it’s not a permanent EE/Orange/T-mobile thing.

Via

Cheers x3nom0rph for the tip!


Video: Nokia Lumia 920 Hammer and Knife scratch test – #NokiaWin

Posted: 14 Nov 2012 11:02 PM PST

The Nokia Lumia 920 undergoes some more abuse, this time with a mallet hammer, knife as well as those keys.

As always with scratch tests, the real challenge is often not the obvious danger but pocket dust and dirt.

For the mallet drop tests, that really is something that could break lesser phones, especially given that he actually tries to break it.

by 


No comments:

Post a Comment